Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 11, Special Issue 2 (2022)

Cost and returns analysis of sugarcane production in Basti district of Eastern Uttar Pradesh, India

Author(s):
Subhash Chandra, Vinay Kumar Rawat, Satish Chandra Verma and OP Singh
Abstract:
Sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum) is one of the most important crops in the world because of its strategic position and immense uses in the daily life of any nation as well as for industrial uses aimed at nutritional and economic sustenance. Sugarcane contributes about 60% of the total world sugar requirement while the remaining 40% came from sugar beet. Sugarcane cultivation in India dates back to pre-Vedic period and presently the country stands second largest producer of sugarcane (355.0 mt) and sugar (>32.0 mt) in the world after Brazil. Brazil has the highest area (5.34 million hectares) while Australia has the highest productivity (85.1 tonnes per hectare) India ranks second among the sugarcane growing countries of the world in the both area and production after Brazil with an area under sugarcane cultivation of 4.94 million hectares with an average yield is 68.6 tons per hectare. Among different states of the country, Uttar Pradesh occupies first place in area (22.34 lakhs hectare) and production 1623.38 lakhs million tons but in terms of productivity it ranks seventh. (Annual Report 2017-18). The cost of cultivation of sugarcane was more at the field of large farmers followed by medium farmers and small farmers. The cost of cultivation of sugarcane per hectare in the small, medium and large farmers categories were Rs. 53998.40, Rs. 54442.39 and Rs. 57649.61 respectively.
Pages: 1309-1312  |  739 Views  548 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Subhash Chandra, Vinay Kumar Rawat, Satish Chandra Verma and OP Singh. Cost and returns analysis of sugarcane production in Basti district of Eastern Uttar Pradesh, India. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2022; 11(2S): 1309-1312.

Call for book chapter