Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 11, Special Issue 1 (2022)

In-vitro evaluation of Mucuna pruriens seeds by nutritional and phytochemical analysis, assessment of antioxidant property and estimation of L-DOPA content by RP-HPLC

Author(s):
Sameer N Jadhav, Shashi Nayyar, Jaspal Singh Hundal, Jasbir Singh Bedi and Chanchal Singh
Abstract:
In-vitro analysis of Mucuna prurien seed was done to assess the nutraceutical potential of raw Mucuna pruriens seeds. Proximate analysis of Mucuna pruriens seed revealed presence of 93.60± 0.07 dry matter; 88.41± 0.06% organic matter; 5.80 ± 0.02% total ash; 25.08 ± 0.09% crude proteins; 48.48± 0.12% nitrogen free extract, 46.12 ± 0.09% soluble carbohydrate, 13.91± 0.12% neutral detergent fiber, 6.45± 0.1% acid detergent fiber & 2.65± 0.08% acid detergent lignin and 312.00 ± 1.36 kcal energy value. Qualitative phytochemical analysis in aqueous and methanolic extract revealed the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, saponins, tannins, and phenols in both extracts. Phytosterols and terpenoids were detected in methanolic extract only. Absence of glycosides in both extract. Mucuna pruriens seeds were found to possess 0.29±0.21% tannins, 3.9±0.32 mg/100g saponins, 1.78±0.61 mg quercetin equivalent flavonoids, and 104.23±0.19 gallic acid equivalent polyphenols content. RP-HPLC analysis revealed 3.62+0.31% of L-DOPA levels in seeds. In-vitro antioxidant assay in isolated goat lymphocyte revealed concentration-dependent increase in % inhibition of radical formation by Mucuna pruriens extract thus decrease in H2O2 induced oxidative stress in goat lymphocyte suspension. These results of the study indicate that raw Mucuna pruriens seeds exhibit both nutritional and bioactive components thus possessing nutraceutical contents which may be of health benefits and suitable for animal utilization.
Pages: 289-294  |  391 Views  128 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Sameer N Jadhav, Shashi Nayyar, Jaspal Singh Hundal, Jasbir Singh Bedi and Chanchal Singh. In-vitro evaluation of Mucuna pruriens seeds by nutritional and phytochemical analysis, assessment of antioxidant property and estimation of L-DOPA content by RP-HPLC. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2022; 11(1S): 289-294.

Call for book chapter