Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 10, Special Issue 11 (2021)

ADR reporting in covid vaccines in coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh

Author(s):
Dr. G Vijaya Kumar, Anne Lakshmi Pavani, Guntur SN Susritha, Gutha Bala Teja, Jangala Rishma Sai Anjani Praneetha, Kakumanu Bala Vinod and Bantupalli Suranjan
Abstract:
Across the world, different vaccines are being used for the management of COVID-19. Among these vaccines, Bharat Biotech and Serum Institute of INDIA have developed Covaxin & Covishield respectively that are being used across India. Adverse events following immunization (AEFI) for all immunization programs is systematically analyzed by WHO. The common adverse effect of these vaccines is pain at the injection site. Other adverse effects include fatigue, headache, muscle aches, chills, joint pain, and fever. Usually, these symptoms sustain for about 24-48 hours and no more than a few days. We have conducted a prospective & retrospective study in and around Krishna and Guntur districts of Andhra Pradesh for months from April to August 2021. Vaccinated people of either sex or age group above 18 years were included in the study. A unique questionnaire was prepared and given to obtain data from the participants.
A total of 500 vaccinated people were enrolled to study the adverse events following immunization in which, no adverse event was reported for almost 90% of the vaccinated people, and the remaining 10% of the population includes 1.6% with thrombocytopenia, 1.4% with abscess, 1.4% with sepsis, 1.2% with encephalopathy, 0.4% with toxic shock syndrome, 4.0% were with fever, fatigue, body pains, 0.2% with heavy Menstrual bleeding for more than 10 days, and 0.2% with rashes. Anaphylactic reactions like pain, swelling at the site of injection, etc…noted in vaccinated people.
According to the study conducted, 349(69.8%) individuals had vaccinated with covisheild and 149(29.8%) individuals with covaxin. Adverse events following immunization with these vaccines were observed in covishield with 11.143%, covaxin with 6.03%, no reactions seen in 88.825%, and 93.95% of the population who preferred covishield and covaxin respectively.
Pages: 844-849  |  382 Views  102 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Dr. G Vijaya Kumar, Anne Lakshmi Pavani, Guntur SN Susritha, Gutha Bala Teja, Jangala Rishma Sai Anjani Praneetha, Kakumanu Bala Vinod and Bantupalli Suranjan. ADR reporting in covid vaccines in coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2021; 10(11S): 844-849.

Call for book chapter