Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 12, Issue 4 (2023)

Assessment of dietary diversity among smallholder farmers in contribution to household food, nutrition and income security at Misungwi district in Mwanza region, Lake Zone of Tanzania

Author(s):
Paul Saidia, Caresma Chuwa and Margaret David Natai
Abstract:
The study was conducted in Misungwi district in Mwanza Region, Lake Zone, Tanzania, to assess dietary diversity in the contribution of household food, nutrition, and income security among smallholder farmers. Focus group discussions in ten farmers’ groups of 39 farmers were conducted whereby a total of 390 smallholder farmers from three Agricultural Marketing Co-operatives (AMCOS) in Nguge, Igongwa, and Igenge were involved in the focus group discussions. 100% of smallholder farmers used firewood for the preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 100% used one bowl for washing hands before eating. 97% prepared thin porridge with or without sugar as breakfast, and the rest of the household (3%) consumed plain rice or boiled sweet potato slices (michembe or matobolwa) with black tea or drinking water. 92% of farmers prepared boiled sweet potatoes (michembe or matobolwa) with commercial juices or drinking water, 8% prepared a blend of rice and pulses (mseto) or deshelled maize and pulses (kande) as lunch, and 94% prepared stiff porridge saved with pulses, sardines, or vegetables, while 6% prepared rice or stiff porridge saved with beef or chicken as dinner. 97% of farmers had little knowledge of a balanced diet, while% had no idea about a balanced diet. 90% of the household used cotton as a cash crop as a source of income, and the rest 10% sold food crops, livestock, and other products to generate income in the household. An alternative source of cooking to rescue the environment and minimize global warming's consequences is required. Food processing and preservation techniques are important to improve varieties, longevity, and accessibility in line with good WASH practices to assure health, nutrition, and income for smallholder farmers in Misungwi.
Pages: 14-20  |  557 Views  230 Downloads


The Pharma Innovation Journal
How to cite this article:
Paul Saidia, Caresma Chuwa, Margaret David Natai. Assessment of dietary diversity among smallholder farmers in contribution to household food, nutrition and income security at Misungwi district in Mwanza region, Lake Zone of Tanzania. Pharma Innovation 2023;12(4):14-20.

Call for book chapter