Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 10, Issue 1 (2021)

Nutritional quality evaluation of improved varieties of black gram (Phaseolus mungo)

Author(s):
Anjali Kanth, Kanchan Goswami and Pushpa Shukla
Abstract:
Black gram (Phaseolus mungo) is a legume belonging to family Fabaceae and genus Phaseolus. Black gram is a nutritious legume and also a good source of protein. Keeping in view the advantages of whole black gram seeds, the improved varieties of black gram i.e. Pant U-8, Pant U-9, Pant U-31 and Pant U-35 seeds were taken for the present study. The physical properties such as seed weight, volume, density, hydration capacity, hydration index, swelling capacity and swelling index of all the four improved varieties of black gram was analyzed. The nutritional quality of whole black gram seeds include proximate composition, dietary fibre, calcium and iron content was analyzed. The anti-nutritional factors such as trypsin inhibitors and tannin content were also analyzed. Result of the study showed that weight, volume and density of whole black gram varieties ranged from 2.99 to 3.54 (g/100 seeds), 2.84 to 3.81 (ml/100 seeds) and 0.88 to 1.19 (g/ml) respectively. Hydration capacity and hydration index were in the range of 0.02g/seed to 0.03g/seed and 0.70 to 0.92 respectively. Swelling capacity and swelling index ranged from 0.04 ml/seed to 0.046 ml/seed and 1.30 to 1.64 respectively. The moisture content of black gram varieties varied from 8.54 to 9.14 per cent, total ash from 3.38 to 4.21 per cent, crude protein from 23.91 to 26.01 per cent, crude fat from 0.93 to 1.21 per cent, crude fibre from 3.98 to 5.73 per cent, carbohydrates from 54.41 to 57.45 per cent and physiological energy from 330.78 to 340.65 kcal/100g. Insoluble dietary fibre was in the range of 13.13 to 15.6 per cent, soluble dietary fibre from 4.06 to 4.4 per cent and total dietary fibre was in the range of 17.2 to 20 per cent. Results of mineral analysis showed that calcium content of four black gram varieties varied from 66.66 to 133.33 mg/100g and iron content from 5.58 to 8.29 mg/100g. Trypsin inhibitor content of the four improved varieties ranged from 90.33 TIU/ g to 94.53 TIU/ g and tannin content ranged from 6.80 to 7.24 mg per 100 gm.
Pages: 201-207  |  644 Views  248 Downloads


The Pharma Innovation Journal
How to cite this article:
Anjali Kanth, Kanchan Goswami, Pushpa Shukla. Nutritional quality evaluation of improved varieties of black gram (Phaseolus mungo). Pharma Innovation 2021;10(1):201-207.
Important Publications Links
The Pharma Innovation Journal

The Pharma Innovation Journal


Call for book chapter