Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

Free Publication Certificate

Vol. 8, Issue 6 (2019)

Evaluation of different sweet potato [Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam] genotypes for suitability of chips preparation

Author(s):
Sharavati MB, Srinivasa V, Ramachandra Naik, Kanthraj Y, Devaraju and Shashikala Kolakar
Abstract:
The present study was conducted at Post Harvest Technology Department, College of Horticulture, Mudigere, Karnataka during the year 2017, to find out the suitable genotypes for the preparation of quality sweet potato chips. Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam) is a major economical and healthy food crop in developing countries which is consumed as boiled tubers. Although sweet potato is cheaper than any other tubers crops, this abundant resource is still poorly utilized. Therefore, thirty sweet potato genotypes were taken for investigation, the fresh pulp of sweet potato were analyzed for its nutritional composition like reducing sugars, non-reducing sugars, total sugars, crude proteins, beta-carotene content and dry matter content. Chips recovery percentage was calculated for chips made from different genotypes of sweet potato and sensory evaluation was performed with 5 hedonic scales. Among the 30 genotypes pulp were analyzed, the genotype BSP-23 recorded maximum reducing sugars (1.34 %), non-reducing sugars (1.83 %), total sugars (3.17 %), crude proteins (11.37 %), beta-carotene content (0.92 mg/100g) and dry matter content (61.85 %) followed by BSP-21 (reducing sugars 1.20 %, non-reducing sugars 1.56 %, total sugars 2.76 %, crude proteins 8.99 %, beta-carotene content 0.88 mg/100g, dry matter content 61.38 %). The highest chips recovery percentage recorded in BSP-23 (93.60 %) followed by BSP-21 (93.20 %), BSP-18 (92.40 %) and BSP-28 (92.00 %). Organoleptic tests were performed on fried sweet potato chips, out of them the genotype BSP-23 was rated the maximum score with respect to colour (4.25), mouth feel (4.18), flavour (4.25), appearance (4.38), texture (4.25) and overall acceptance (4.19) followed by BSP-21. Although there is a similar recovery percentage obtained in other genotypes, BSP-23 and BSP-21 were considered as the most favourite for chips preparation based on the sensory and nutritional characters.
Pages: 1098-1102  |  294 Views  73 Downloads


The Pharma Innovation Journal
How to cite this article:
Sharavati MB, Srinivasa V, Ramachandra Naik, Kanthraj Y, Devaraju, Shashikala Kolakar. Evaluation of different sweet potato [<em>Ipomoea batatas</em> (L.) Lam] genotypes for suitability of chips preparation. Pharma Innovation 2019;8(6):1098-1102.

Call for book chapter