Toll Free Helpline (India): 1800 1234 070

Rest of World: +91-9810852116

NAAS Rating: 5.03, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.98 | Free Publication Certificate
updates
NAAS Rating: 5.03 new
Vol. 8, Issue 1 (2019)

Assessment of ready to eat cereal snacks consumption pattern of school children

Author(s):
Akkavva Wadakappanavar S, Nirmala B Yenagi and Manjula Patil
Abstract:
A study was carried out to assess ready to eat cereal snacks consumption pattern of school children of Dharwad. Total of 160 school children in the age group of 11-14 years comprising 80 children each from both rural and urban locality were selected during 2015-18. Ready to eat cereal snacks consumption pattern was assessed by personal interview method using structured schedule. Results indicated that among the total of 160 children, more than 50 per cent of children were boys (52.50 %) and remaining 47.50 per cent were girls. The consumption of snacks by urban and rural children was 85 and 90 per cent respectively. More than 40 per cent of children from rural (43.06 %) and urban (48.53 %) liked to consume both savory and sweet snacks. Papadi was liked by majority of rural and urban children (76.47 and 69.41 %, respectively) followed by milk pedha, ghate (66.67 %, respectively) in rural and milk pedha and rasgulla (63.24 and 64.71 %, respectively) in urban. Total of twelve snacks were recorded as most liked snacks by children, among them 40 per cent of snacks were purchased one to two piece or packet per visit to the shop, remaining were purchased one piece per visit (60%). Among the daily consumed snacks were benne biscuits (80.71 %) followed by chakli (32.14 %) and papadi (21.43 %). Maximum per cent of children consumed snacks during school leisure time (92.14 %) followed by when relatives give amount (85.71 %) and while going to school (61.43 %). All the children consumed snacks due to the taste and more than 90 per cent of children consumed snacks as they like eating again and again (97.22 and 97.06 %, respectively), because of color (95.83 and 95.59 %, respectively) and to use the amount given by parents or relatives. Children looked for the quantity (97.86 %), price (97.14 %), color (94.29 %) and taste (91.43 %) while purchasing snacks. The study concludes that, along with esthetic quality, well-portioned nutri-snacks between meals can help children to develop healthy eating habits and to maintain good health.
Pages: 151-155  |  357 Views  6 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Akkavva Wadakappanavar S, Nirmala B Yenagi, Manjula Patil. Assessment of ready to eat cereal snacks consumption pattern of school children. Pharma Innovation 2019;8(1):151-155.
The Pharma Innovation Journal